The bone grafting material that we use at our office is a combination of bovine derived anorganic cancellous bone mineral granules and purified collagen fibers in a compressed, pre-shaped form designed for extraction sites. It has physical and chemical properties comparable to the mineralized matrix of human bone, Therefore your body slowly resorbs the graft and then is replaced by new bone that your body makes. Generally, patients are ready for an implant to be placed within 4-6 months after the tooth extraction and placement of the bone graft.
You should not use this grafting material if:
- Acute or chronic infection at the surgical site.
- Known allergy to collagen of animal origin or other bovine-derived products.
- Metabolic diseases ( diabetes, hyperparathyroidism, osteomalacia)
- Severe renal dysfunction, severe liver disease
- High dose corticosteroid therapy